Register for July derby
Pleasure Point Marina is the host of the July Ultimate Big Fish Derby sponsored by the Big Bear Lake Fishing Association. The event is set for July 27-29. On July 27 from 3 to 7 p.m. there is a vendor show and youth fishing club booth along with tournament check-in and on-site registration.
Fishing is from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 28 with weigh-in deadline at 3 p.m. The July 29 schedule features fishing hours from
6:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with weigh-in deadline by 1 p.m. The awards ceremony and opportunity drawing is at 1:30 p.m. Online registration closes at noon July 27.
Registration is available online at www.bigbearfishingassociation.org.
Water temperature: 69.88 degrees
Lake level: 56 feet, 0 inch, or 16 feet,
3 inches from full.
The optimum temperature and dissolved oxygen level (DO) for trout is 70 degrees and 5 parts per million or better.
• Boom line: 68.86 degrees and DO 6.25 at the surface to 66.25 degrees and DO 1.78 at
• Papoose: 69.26 degrees and DO 6.17 at the surface to 66.48 degrees and DO 2.34 at
• West Ramp: 69.76 degrees and DO 6.55 at the surface to 66.3 degrees and DO 0.85 at
• Observatory: 70.63 degrees and DO 6.99 at the surface to 69.79 degrees and DO 5.59 at 5 meters.
• Juniper Point: 70.9 degrees and DO 7.1 at the surface and 70.79 degrees and DO 6.92 at 3 meters.
Information is provided by the Big Bear Municipal Water District. Check the latest updates at www.bbmwd.com.
• July 27-29, BBLFA All-Fish Tournament, Pleasure Point Marina, 603 Landlock Landing, Big Bear Lake.
• Aug. 17-19, BBLFA All-Fish Tournament, Captain John’s
Fawn Harbor & Marina,
39369 North Shore Drive, Fawnskin.
• Sept. 14-16, BBLFA All-Fish Tournament, Pine Knot Marina,
439 Pine Knot Ave., Big Bear Lake.
• Oct. 6-7, Big Bear TroutfesT, Western Outdoor News, Big Bear Marina, 500 Paine Court, Big Bear Lake.
Submit fishing photo
We know anglers love to talk about the ones that get away, but the Big Bear Grizzly wants to know about those big catches. Share your photo and story. Submit photos in
JPEG format by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Grizzly office at 42007 Fox Farm Road in Big Bear Lake with your fish during business hours, and we’ll take the photo for you.